- Illuminated initial from Psalter "Exultate Deo," 16th century
- Catholic Church
- A large initial "E" with diapered grounds containing a drawing of a man in a red robe holding two bells on a staff. Small robed figures are in each corner.
- Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern)-16th century. and Illumination of books and manuscripts
- 1500 to 1599
- Stanford University Libraries
- Walters Ms. W.536, Pontifical
- Chrysostom, John, Saint, -407, Basil, Saint, Bishop of Caesarea, approximately 329-379, Gregory, the Great, Saint, approximately 540-604, and Matthew of Myra
- Greek, Ancient (t0 1453)
- This manuscript contains liturgical prayers for the use of a bishop. It is among the first known works of one of the most prominent Greek scribes of the Ottoman period, Metropolitan Matthew of Myra (fl. 1596-1624). If the manuscript ever contained a note with his name, this is now lost, but the peculiar handwriting is clearly attributable to his hand.
For full description, see http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/Data/WaltersManuscripts/html/W536/description.html
- 1597 to 1599
- Walters Art Museum